Thursday, April 26, 2012

Khmer Sausage Sandwich

I was over in Midtown East today running errands which put me close to Num Pang, the Cambodian sandwich shop with its second location near Grand Central.  I had been there once before when I tried one of their chicken sandwiches, but my office isn't close by so I haven't had a chance to try the rest of the menu yet.

Today I went there intending to get the grilled Spanish mackerel and leeks sandwich, or possibly the peppercorn catfish.  Instead I ended up with a spur-of-the-moment purchase of the grilled Khmer sausage sandwich and, while I bet the fish sandwiches would also have been great, I'm so happy with that choice.

The sandwich - closed and open - with a gorgeous Palau background

The grilled Khmer sausage sandwich comes with the sausage, which is made by Brooklyn Bangers, and Asian slaw, along with the usual accompaniments of cucumber, pickled carrots, cilantro and chili mayo.

Closer look at the sandwich

The sandwich was delicious (if you haven't already guessed that from the gushing above).  I loved the flavor of the sausage.  I asked someone when I was there what kind of meat was in the sausage.  They weren't sure, but it was so good that I'm not sure I even care what's in it anymore.  The most interesting thing to me about the sausage was the texture.  I was expecting something dense and with a casing, like kielbasa, but instead it was just ground meat in a loose sausage form.  Kind of like kofta.  I loved the texture of the sausage and felt like it worked so well with the other ingredients - the crunchy and refreshing cucumber, slaw and carrots, the creamy chili mayo, the fragrant cilantro, and the bread which was crispy on the outside but so soft and chewy on the inside.  It was a great sandwich.

Khmer sausage is soft and delicious!

If I worked near Num Pang, I think I would be there all the time, trying out all the sandwiches and sides.  But I think I would always be tempted by the Khmer sausage.  So good.

No comments:

Post a Comment