Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Mexico Blvd

I wandered around midtown at lunch, enjoying the 80 degree temperatures and trying to figure out what to do for lunch on such a beautiful day. My wandering took me over to Midtown East and I noticed the Mexico Blvd truck just off Lexington Avenue. I had heard of the truck before but had never tried it. Today seemed like a good day for some Mexican food.


The truck had a lunch special - 2 tacos, 1 small guacamole and chips, and 1 drink - for $10. I debated for awhile between getting a torta and getting tacos, but eventually decided to go with the lunch special.


The truck had a sign saying today's agua fresca was agua de jamaica (hibiscus iced tea). I'm a fan of hibiscus iced tea, so this was an easy choice. It was refreshing and sweet, perfect for the walk back on such a hot day.


The guacamole and chips were good and a nice size (considering it was a small).


The chips were crisp and fresh, and coated in chili pepper and lime to give them a bit of a kick. In contrast, the guacamole was cool and full of lime and cilantro flavors. It was a smooth guacamole without much else (e.g., tomatoes, onions) mixed in, but it worked really well with the chips. I liked this and it was about the same size as the overpriced one I got last week from Baja Fresh (which also wasn't as good as this one).

There are 4 options for tacos at the Mexico Blvd truck - adobo (pork loin), pastor (pork tenderloin in chili sauce), bistec (steak in drunken sauce) and tinga (shredded chicken) - all of which are made Mexico City style (according to the menu). I went with their recommendation and got the pastor and the tinga.


I tried the pastor (pork tenderloin marinated in three chiles sauce, served with cilantro, onion and pineapple), which was topped with salsa verde, first.


The taco was delicious. The meat was relatively tender and not overdone. The heat of the sauce came through and mixed really well with the other ingredients.

The chicken tinga consisted of shredded chicken in a tomato and chipotle sauce, also topped with onion, cilantro and salsa verde.


This taco was also really good. The chicken had a smoky flavor and I liked the shredded texture instead of cubes of grilled chicken. Just like the pastor, I would definitely get this again.

Amazingly, the tortillas (which were doubled up) held up during the entire walk back (not a short one) and didn't break at all while I was eating. I was impressed. The deliciousness of the tacos made me forget that I had been craving banh mi all morning and I was in a state of taco-induced happiness for hours. I will definitely be returning to Mexico Blvd for some more tacos!

No comments:

Post a Comment