Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Orange Rhubarb Meringue

Shake Shack's Monday flavor for April is orange rhubarb meringue.  With only two more chances left to try it, today seemed like a good day for custard (even though the temperature was in the 40s).


The custard looked more pink than orange in person

M's thoughts:
For some reason, when I heard the Monday custard name - orange rhubarb meringue - I was focused more on the rhubarb part and didn't really think about the orange.  If I had, I might not have looked forward to this custard so much since I don't particularly love frozen orange desserts (popsicles, creamsicles and sherbet come to mind).  Perhaps it's because my brain is overwhelmed by other things right now but it didn't even really register the "orange" part until I saw the calendar at Shake Shack where the name sign is colored bright orange.  Anyway, the custard lived up to the orange part with the rhubarb part really only contributing color (it was much more pink in person, so pink that I thought they gave us strawberry by mistake, but it was definitely not strawberry) and the meringue part of the name just being confusing.  The flavor reminded me of a mild orange creamsicle/sherbet scoop.  No surprise that I didn't particularly like it.

A's thoughts:
I wasn't sure what to expect from this flavor. When I think of rhubarb based desserts I think more of strawberry pairings. To see it paired with orange and meringue of all things made me very curious as to what this really was all about. I didn't get that much rhubarb flavor, but I may just not know what rhubarb really tastes like. Overall it tasted like an orange creamsicle. That's an okay flavor, but it's not something I normally go out of my way to get.

Orange Rhubarb Meringue
A's rating: 5.5/10
M's rating: 4.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment