Thursday, November 18, 2010

Roll and Go

So a new quick-style restaurant opened up right by my office. Roll and Go offers wraps, soups, and fresh-made sushi.

Roll and Go

Inside looks a little chaotic, but there's a method to the madness. There are multiple lines in the store, one for wrap sandwiches and one for sushi. I'm not sure how the soup comes into play or really how the sushi section works, but this was my first time there. I opted to get the chicken shawarma wrap.

A view of the line of workers putting together wraps

Some of the toppings available to put on a wrap

I got hummus, pico de gallo, cucumber and tomato salad, red cabbage, tahini, and hot sauce to go with my chicken. Their chicken is also interesting. It isn't the standard chicken on a spit like most shawarma places I've had in the past. All of their meats, whether it's lamb, chicken, or pork, are all cooked beforehand and stored. Whenever one of the meats starts getting low, they pull out some of the containers and heat it up on the flat top. It reminds me of Chipotle in a way. Another cool touch is that they make all of their wraps onsite. They have little bundles of dough that get pressed into the wrap throughout the day.

Not the best shot, but the guy in the back is making the wraps

I got the wrap to go and brought it back to my desk to eat. I was a little worried because they wrap it with both ends open within the foil, and I thought it might get a little messy.

First view into the opened foil

Better picture of the interior of the wrap

Overall the wrap had excellent flavor. I'm not a shawarma expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I've certainly had my fair share of them. The chicken was spiced nicely and was full of flavor, and the toppings tasted very fresh. The only odd thing about the wrap was that the hot sauce was regular Tabasco sauce and not like a normal red sauce like you might find at a street cart or other wraps.

I definitely enjoyed the lunch, and even with a a can of soda, it still only came out to about $7.50. I'd been interested in seeing what this new Midtown eatery had to offer, and so far it has not disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment