Sunday, July 15, 2012

Potbelly Mediterranean

When I go to Potbelly for a sandwich, I usually have a few options that I rely on (turkey, tuna or meatball).  Recently, Potbelly introduced a new vegetarian sandwich called the Mediterranean, which sounded interesting. When we went for dinner last week for National Sugar Cookie Day (since I love their sugar cookies), I decided to try it.


The Mediterranean sandwich has "zippy hummus, feta, artichoke hearts, crispy cukes, and roasted red peppers." On top of the base ingredients, you can (like every Potbelly sandwich) add any of the free toppings you want.  I added hot peppers, lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles and Italian seasoning for a vegetarian extravaganza.


The most prominent items from the Mediterranean combination were the hummus, spread onto the bread, and the feta cheese which was melted on top.  The red peppers were a thin layer next to the hummus, but I barely noticed any cucumbers.  The artichoke hearts, once everything was piled in, seemed to have fallen to two distinct areas of the sandwich, so I went almost an entire half without hitting one.  The usual free toppings were a good match for the Mediterranean toppings, and I thought the hot peppers fit in really well here.  I liked them more here than I do in my usual turkey sandwich (which makes sense because, according to their tweet from today, they use oil from the hot peppers to make the hummus).  All of the flavors were pretty good.


I did like the Mediterranean sandwich, but it's more expensive than all the other sandwiches at Potbelly, including the ones with lots of meat (probably because of the feta and artichokes). And I didn't like it more than my usual ones, so I'll probably stick to my old favorites.  But if I'm ever in the mood for a vegetarian sandwich, this would work!

No comments:

Post a Comment