Friday, September 12, 2014

Smoked Gouda Chicken

I dislike most Wendy's commercials these days, but I was really intrigued by their newest limited edition chicken sandwich - the smoked gouda chicken on brioche. Of the big 3 burger chains (McD's, Burger King, and Wendy's), the one I frequent the most is probably Wendy's, and I do appreciate that they try to mix it up a little with special limited time sandwiches. I just wish some of the really great ones would stay on the permanent menu (I'm of course thinking about my favorite dearly missed wild mountain chicken sandwich).


This sandwich comes with chicken (you can choose grilled, homestyle, or spicy), gouda cheese, spring greens, red onions, a caramelized onion jam, and a thin dijon aioli, all on a soft brioche bun. I really liked this sandwich and thought it was quite good quality for a fast food chicken sandwich. (Then again, you're paying for it, since it cost over $5 in Manhattan.) All the elements of the sandwich worked well together, and I really liked the caramelized onion jam and dijon aioli. They are great sandwich condiments. The gouda cheese wasn't as strong in flavor as other gouda cheeses I've had before, but it was good with all of the other elements. The brioche bun was soft and pillowy. 

I will say that if you don't like onions, you might want to stay away from this sandwich. I love onions and I loved how present they were in both their raw and caramelized forms. I just wish this sandwich were cheaper and then I might make more trips to Wendy's!

No comments:

Post a Comment