Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Sweet Italian Style Chicken Sausage

We currently have an ongoing "project" where we're trying out every chicken sausage offered at Trader Joe's. Although we've tried a few of them before this one (posts forthcoming), our first post is about the sweet Italian style chicken sausage ($3.99). There's really no rhyme or reason to how I pick which package of chicken sausage to buy next. They're on the top rack in the meat section at our local Trader Joe's, so if I'm not shopping with A, it's pretty much whichever one I can reach.


Preparing a recipe with the chicken sausages is a bit of a guessing game sometimes. If it's your first time trying it, you can only really speculate about the flavor based on the ingredients before opening the package. In a dish like the one I made with this sausage, the sausage pieces are the very last thing added so I was taking a gamble on the flavor in my choice of other ingredients.

This time, I thought there would be more of a basil and oregano flavor in the spices, so I went with spinach, onions, tomatoes, garlic, and small white beans in a saute. It wasn't quite the right match. Instead, the sausage smelled and tasted a lot more like the type you would use for a sausage and peppers dish. It even has red and green peppers mixed in. (I suspect the spicy Italian style one will taste even more like that, but that's a taste test for another time.) I think the saute would have been better with bell peppers, onions, garlic, and maybe even mushrooms. Next time.


Buy Again? Yes, this one had really nice flavor and I want to try it in a saute with different ingredients to see how it would come out, more of an adapted sausage and peppers recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment