Saturday, September 13, 2014

Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding

Okay, I've been noticeably absent from posting for a while, but here I am! I actually have been doing some different lunches and such that I want to write about, but I'll get to those later. Today, I'll write about my latest cooking idea. We bought a bag of chia seeds before, but we never really used it that much. I know I'd put a spoonful or so into my morning cereal, but since they didn't absorb enough liquid they never sat that well with me. I had read a lot of recipes for chia seed pudding, but we never had a consistent supply of milk around the house. However, ever since I've started making my morning coffee at home and eating more cereal, there always seems to be milk handy. For this go around I ended up adapting this recipe.


I halved everything in the picture above since I wasn't sure if I would like it or not. Since I'll be making the full amount next time, I'll list what I'll need for that:
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup chia seeds
  • 1 cup milk
Mix the cocoa powder and brown sugar together, add the chia seeds and fold them to incorporate. Add the milk and stir to dissolve the sugar and cocoa powder. Let it sit for a few minutes and then stir it again. Do this a few times as the chia seeds will start out floating near the top. Once they've started absorbing more liquid, they'll spread and distribute better. Once the seeds seem to suspend in the liquid more, cover and refrigerate. I let it set overnight, and that worked really well.


Color-wise it looks like a regular chocolate pudding. The cocoa flavor is definitely there, but it's not overpowering. It's also not overly sweet which is a nice thing. The unsweetened cocoa powder also offers a nice balancing slight bitterness. The chia seeds are interesting. They're like tapioca but a bit crunchier. Overall I really like this pudding. It's good for breakfast and dessert, and it's pretty healthy too. I'm really excited to make more of this and also for M to try this as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment