Friday, September 19, 2014

Cinnamon Snail Brings Vegan Delights to the Garment District

Back on Tuesday The Cinnamon Snail tried out a new spot near my office at 38th and Broadway. If you don't know, they're a vegan food truck that serves some of the best truck food of any type in NYC. I don't care what your thoughts are on vegan food, you would do well to check this truck out if it's near you.


I had originally looked to get the weekly special, but they were out. Instead I went with the Gouchujang Burger which is a seitan burger with sautéed kimchi, arugula, pickled red onions, black sesame gomasio and sriracha mayonnaise on herb grilled focaccia. I had no clue what black sesame gomasio was, but after some research it is apparently a black sesame infused salt condiment. Regardless, this burger is delicious.

The seitan burger doesn't have the richness of a regular burger, and it can fall apart a little more easily, but it certainly holds up as a great base for a burger. The gouchujang and kimchi don't bring much heat, but they offer a beautiful set of sweet and tart flavors. The sriracha vegan-aise was really rich and creamy just like a regular mayonnaise so I didn't even notice. The focaccia was less greasy than other focaccias I've had in the past, and it was still just as soft. The herb topping really showed through. For people that think vegan food is boring and can't taste good, I challenge them to say that after trying this burger.


I also tried to get one of their seasonal creme brulee donuts, but they were also out of those (I went to lunch late). I ended up getting one of their Mexican spiced chocolate donuts. Despite it's somewhat fecal appearance, this was AMAZING. I still like their creme brulee donut better, but this donut is moist, dense, and light. The cocoa powder really comes out in the donut, and the chocolate icing is rich and fully coats the donut. The donut also is dusted in cinnamon and chili powder which pair extremely well with the chocolate flavor. They took everything that's great about Mexican spiced hot chocolate and turned it into a really nice donut.

The line they had was probably 8-15 people deep the whole time, but it moves fast. All of the food is made fresh for you on order so be prepared to wait a little after you order, but it's maybe only 10 minutes. I really hope they decide to make this a regular weekly stop for them as I'll definitely look into getting there every Tuesday if they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment