Sunday, September 21, 2014

Pumpkin Spice Pancakes

I promised M that I would make breakfast today so that we could enjoy it during the Manchester City match with Chelsea. I ended up waking up a little later than hoped so I had to cook while the early stages of the game were on.

None of that is really important, though, as this was all just an excuse for me to make pancakes which is something I've wanted to do for a little while. I was hoping to make the Trader Joe's Pumpkin Spice Pancake and Waffle Mix, but our location was sold out by the time we got around to going. Such as it is, we have a box of Bisquick on hand that we'd never opened before. I figured I could take their regular pancake recipe and toss in some pumpkin spice (coincidentally also from Trader Joe's), and make my own pumpkin spice pancakes.


As you can see, M and I do a lot of shopping from Trader Joe's. All you need is the following:
  • 1 cup Bisquick
  • 1 Egg
  • 2/3 cup Milk
  • 1 Tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (this wasn't on the recipe, I just guessed for flavoring purposes)


I beat the egg and then added the milk and mixed. I then added in the pumpkin spice and stirred it to incorporate. Finally I added the Bisquick and mixed it all up by hand until it was smooth.


I tried to make things as even as possible with the pancakes so I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup and tried to use just under that amount for each pancake. The recipe said that it should make 8 pancakes using that measurement, but I somehow only got 5 and a half. Maybe my addition of pumpkin spice absorbed too much liquid? I don't know, but they did cook up nicely.


Overall the pancakes were dense and filling. I was a bit disappointed because there wasn't a lot of pumpkin pie spice flavor to them, but perhaps I didn't add enough to the mix. It's a work in progress so maybe next time I'll just add more or play around with some other spice combinations. M liked them, and they were easy to make so I'm thinking that I might try to do this more often. Now that we have a steady supply of milk and eggs at home, this should be pretty easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment