Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Baja

I don't watch many ads (and when they're on, I often tune out) so I didn't know Wendy's had new salads. Apparently I also missed all the blog posts about them.

Anyway, they have a few new salads including a spicy chicken caesar and a "baja" salad. I didn't pay much attention to the other 2 (?) because they weren't the types of salads I usually go for. The baja salad is basically the taco salad, version 2. Since I'm a fan of the taco salad, I figured I would try it. On a general salad note, I'm still waiting for them to bring back the southwest chicken caesar salad again. (Hint, hint Wendy's! It's been a few years since the encore!)


The baja salad has mixed greens, pico de gallo, cheese and guacamole. It comes with a small chili on the side to be put on top of the salad (just like the taco salad), tortilla strips (just like the taco salad) and a creamy dressing (which, just like the taco salad, I ignore). Reading some reviews of the salad while I was eating lunch, people keep calling it deceptively high in calories, but it's really not that bad if you don't use the dressing (I don't) and save the tortilla strips for a snack later (I do). Less calories than a Chipotle salad bowl.


The salad in its pico de gallo and guacamole glory.


And topped with chili.

The verdict? I liked the salad. The main differences between this and the original taco salad seem to be the greens (mixed greens better than iceberg), pico de gallo (instead of tomatoes, but not dramatically better), and guacamole (good, but not absolutely necessary - it doesn't "make" the salad). I would get it again. But I would really prefer to get the southwest chicken caesar back! I will always be on the lookout for that and my favorite - the wild mountain chicken sandwich. Please bring them back!

No comments:

Post a Comment