Sunday, May 4, 2014

Week 15 - Knifework

The theme for Week 15 of the challenge was knifework. As a theme, this puzzled me. What could I make that would qualify as "knifework"? I do a lot of chopping for our everyday meals, so what else could I do for this theme? My original plan was to make lettuce wrap, since it involves lots of chopping and prep work. But as knifework week went on, I decided to just use all the work I was already doing for our other meals instead of making one "special" dish. It's as much, or more, than some other people posted on Reddit. There were some really interesting things submitted there during that week, like fruit cubes, sushi and some decorative knifework, but in the end, it seemed like most people ended up coming to the same decision I did. So here's some of the knifework for a week (or so).

We made esquites again (for the second time in eight days) since we loved them so much. There's a lot of chopping to do there - garlic, scallion greens, jalapeño peppers and cilantro.


Along with the esquites, we also made tofu tacos, which needed some garlic and more scallions.


For a smoked salmon and artichoke pizza, I finely chopped chives and shallots.


For Belgian night, the carbonnade and stoemp meant lots of chopping, slicing and mincing of onions, carrots, scallions and garlic.


Lastly, prep for tuna macaroni and cheese required some finely chopped carrots, celery and shallots.


I can always use more practice with knife skills. I know I could do better with exact sizes, etc. and I definitely need to get faster. Will just keep working on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment