Saturday, October 27, 2012

Potbelly Side Salads

We've written quite a bit about Potbelly before (sandwiches, specials, cookies, etc).  To celebrate a new Potbelly opening down the block from my office on Monday (at least it's supposed to, but who knows what Hurricane Sandy will do to those plans), I thought I would write about Potbelly's side salads.

I don't know when Potbelly started offering side salads.  I don't recall seeing them before a few months ago (but I never spent a lot of time looking in the refrigerated case).  They had your usual sandwich accompaniments: potato salad, macaroni salad and cole slaw, and more recently, added a tomato cucumber salad.  I usually go for the potato salad, but as of today, have tried everything but the cole slaw.

The tomato cucumber salad consists of grape tomatoes, cucumbers, (little slivers of) red onions (that you can barely see in the photo), small cubes of provolone cheese, and vinaigrette.


I thought I would love this salad since I love shepherds salad, and this is relatively similar.  It was pretty good but I didn't love it.  I would still get the potato salad instead, although this tomato cucumber salad is much healthier!

The macaroni salad was very, very creamy.  The pasta had a pretty good texture, and the salad seemed to have some cheese in it (which I was not expecting).  I just felt like it was too creamy and rich for my tastes.  This has probably been my least favorite of the side salads.


And now, my favorite side salad - the potato salad (since I'm fairly sure I won't like the cole slaw better, even if it's amazing, because I like potato salad generally so much more than cole slaw).


I like all forms of potato salad, but this one reminds me of the potato salad from the deli that I grew up with, that plain white potato salad that's just a little bit creamy.  Definitely my favorite Potbelly side salad.  It just goes so well with a turkey and provolone sandwich.

Maybe I'll try the cole slaw the next time they are out of potato salad. Right now my rankings are: potato salad, tomato cucumber salad, macaroni salad.

And now, after thinking about side salads for a bit, I could really go for some potato salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment