Saturday, October 13, 2012

Free Cheese Truck

This week the Sweetery truck was converted into the Castello cheese truck, and the past few days they have been roaming the city giving out free samples of cheese.  Free samples?  Count me in.  Today the truck was near the office during lunch and I braved the early fall chill for some free cheese.


By free samples, they meant a platter with 3 Finn Crisp crackers topped with 3 types of cheese.  I thought they were going to give out tiny packages of cheese, so this was better than I had imagined. There were 3 types of cheese: weissbier, bergkase and hirten.


I didn't really put much thought into the order I ate the cheeses and just went by which napkin was on top of the pile.  First was the hirten, a crumbly salty cheese, with a slightly sweet caramel overtone and a hint of pine.  (It should be noted that these descriptions are largely based on the information card they gave out. I am terrible at describing cheese flavors, as I've learned over the years from the Artisanal cheese menu.)  I don't think I really noticed caramel or pine but I did like the crumbly texture.  Second, I went for the bergkase, with its slightly smoky aroma and hint of mountain herbs. The last one I had was the weissbier, which was the softest of the 3, making me wonder if I should have eaten them in the reverse order.  The weissbier is a bit nutty, and is bathed in beer 3 times a week, possibly accounting for its softness.

I liked all three cheeses and am not sure which is my favorite.  Maybe the bergkase since I did get the "hint" of mountain herbs from that one.  My fingers were turning to icicles as I was eating the cheese, so perhaps I should find a warm place near the truck and try this again.  Two more weeks of free cheese!

Want to know where the Castello truck is?  Twitter, of course, has the answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment