Monday, October 8, 2012

Mediterranean Turkey Burger

Tonight I dropped by Balkanika, a Mediterranean place in our neighborhood (that we have been to a few times and just like everything else, have not gotten around to writing about), to pick up a sandwich for dinner.


I went with the turkey kofte sandwich. The sandwich was described as a grilled ground turkey burger with cumin, yogurt cucumber sauce, ajvar red pepper spread, onion, lettuce and tomato.  You had a choice between a roll, white wrap, and wheat wrap.  I went with the roll because I was picturing a turkey burger - one big kofte patty (kind of like the kofte "meatballs" at the Turkish places) with sauce, built up with the lettuce, tomato and onion like an American burger.


Instead, this "burger" was two strips of turkey kofte, with a chopped lettuce, tomato and onion salad, on a roll that had been spread with the two sauces (yogurt cucumber and ajvar red pepper).  It was quite good, but considering how it was made, I think a wrap might have been a better choice.  Every time I bit into the roll, all of the delicious sandwich contents spilled out of the roll, making a bit of a mess.  I did like the sandwich though and would get it again.

Balkanika's takeout menu (don't remember if they were on the restaurant menu) has a lot of different and interesting-sounding sandwiches in addition to the turkey kofte.  I'm looking forward to trying more of them and also getting the turkey kofte in a wrap!

No comments:

Post a Comment