Monday, October 22, 2012

Wondee Siam III

Tonight for dinner I was in the mood for something spicy and light. We often order from Wondee Siam III at home (instead of II) and I decided their larb would be perfect for what I had in mind.

My throat was a bit sore so I also decided to get some soup.


I got the woonsen soup ($4.95), which was a clear broth with glass noodles, shredded chicken, shiitake mushrooms, celery and scallions.  It was a light and "clean" soup, perfect for a fall night.


The main part of my dinner was the larb kai ($8.95), which I ordered "medium" but it packed plenty of spice (as always).


Chicken larb (larb gai, larb kai, etc) is one of my favorite Thai dishes.  (I've written about it several times on this blog.)  Larb kai is minced chicken mixed with ground toasted rice, red onions, scallions, cilantro, lime juice and chili.  It's usually served on a bed of lettuce.  Wondee III also includes a small box of either jasmine rice or brown rice with the order (I like brown rice but I usually get jasmine rice with the larb).


The larb tonight was exactly what I was looking for, although I think I'm getting weak when it comes to spice because this felt spicy to me (especially after I mistakenly tried the chili powder for the soup by itself to test how spicy it was).  I do like larb spicy though, because very mild larb just doesn't have the same flavor kick.  I'm willing to drink lots of water (or milk, or Thai iced tea) in exchange for great flavor.

We often get the larb from Wondee III and I'm surprised I haven't written about it until now.  Do you like larb or have any favorite spots for it?

No comments:

Post a Comment