Thursday, June 14, 2012

Summer Noodles

It was in the high 70s at lunch today and the nice weather brought out the crowds.  Everywhere I thought to go had long lines and I found myself further and further from the office (despite trying to make it back before the end of halftime in the Italy-Croatia match - fail).  I ended up going to Pro Korean (or Korean Pro or Pro Hot Korean - I don't really know what name they go by right now) on 56th Street after walking all over Midtown West.  Instead of getting one of the premade boxes like I usually do or bibimbap, I opted for something new - summer noodles - especially attractive since it was so hot after walking.  You can either order the summer noodles by themselves ($5.50) or with meat ($7).


The summer noodles themselves were very thin noodles tossed in a spicy gochujang-based sauce.  It came with half of a hardboiled egg (but I skipped that - not a big egg person).  There were lots of vegetables mixed in including mixed salad greens, other greens I could not identify, cabbage, red cabbage, cucumbers, onions, carrots, mint, and something else which I thought was a radish but kind of tasted like an apple.  The noodles were exactly what I hoped for - light and refreshing, but at the same time filling enough for lunch.


The chicken they added was the Korean spicy chicken I love, which also came mixed with some onions.  It was a moderate level of spiciness - more of a flavorful spicy than a spicy heat.  For the most part, the chicken was also tender, which was good.


I would definitely get the summer noodles again.  I liked the balance of the light vegetables and noodles with the spicy chicken, and how healthy it all felt.  A good lunch choice (even if getting there was my plan D!).

No comments:

Post a Comment