Thursday, June 21, 2012

Chapulin

This is a post I was supposed to write a very long time ago. El Rey Del Sabor is a Mexican food cart that M and I both love a lot. Every year they import a special order of chapulin to offer to their clients. I don't know if it's the same dish every year, but the year I went it was quesadillas.

A little pricey, but this was definitely worth the experience

Quesadilla platter with guacamole and pico di gallo

Oh, I didn't tell you what chapulin are? They're grasshoppers. This is something that I had been looking forward to trying ever since I heard that they do this yearly.

Grasshoppers!

The grasshoppers themselves didn't really have that much flavor to them. They were seasoned, and what I remember is that there was a slight sourness mixed into the saltiness of the seasonings. The sauce was nice and garlicky, and it finished off the quesadilla well. The grasshoppers also added texture as they had a good crunch to them. Overall, the novelty wore off fast as the legs had a habit of getting stuck in my teeth. The flavors were nice, but it was a little expensive, and it wasn't so overly great that I thought I had to have it again. In the end I can cross off grasshoppers from my eating list.

No comments:

Post a Comment