Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Taim Mobile

Today I found myself fortunate as Taim Mobile has recently started making a stop on the West Side every Wednesday. I don't know if they're going to keep this location as a regular spot, but I certainly hope so. I also was very lucky as their special of the day was their Sabich, a Middle Eastern Sandwich featuring hard boiled egg and fried eggplant. M had read many reviews talking up how good the sabich was so I almost felt obligated to try it on behalf of her. I ordered the sabich with everything (hummus, israeli salad, pickled cabbage, tahini, pickles, and s'rug and amba sauces), a side of fries, and their pomegranate-honey iced tea.


Taim Mobile truck


Fries with Garlic Aioli
The fries were tasty. They're medium-cut, about the thickness and texture of the fries you might get at Five Guys, and they also come in a brown paper bag. They're lightly salted, and the guys on the truck are smart and poke holes in the bag so that the heat doesn't linger in the bag and make the fries really soggy. The fries also come with their garlic aioli for dipping. It had a good flavor, but I didn't taste as much garlic. It tasted more like a mayo-mustard hybrid to me, but it was still quite tasty.


Pomegranate Honey Iced Tea
The tea was cool and refreshing. As a honey-addict, I was hoping for more of a honey taste, but I was sadly disappointed. I'm not sure if you could really add that much honey, though, as it would thicken up the tea too much even though I really really like honey. The pomegranate flavor was very well balanced.


Top view of the sabich
The sandwich was sublime. My first bite I was lucky enough to capture every ingredient. The egg was an egg, but the s'rug had a wonderful heat to it that didn't overpower the sandwich or utterly destroy all of my taste buds. The hummus was extremely smooth and silky and really bound the bite together. The eggplant? Out of this world. Normally when I think of fried vegetables I think of heavily battered, greasy blocks of vegetable. Taim has either no batter or the lightest batter I've ever seen. The frying is really just to cook the eggplant which ends up having a texture that melts in your mouth while still tasting like a good, fresh eggplant. The sandwich was amazing, and I was so disappointed when I finished it as I kept looking and hoping for more.


Inner view of the sabich


Side view of the sabich showing the egg and eggplant
Overall Taim is a fantastic food truck and one I hope will come by my work neighborhood regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment