Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Dollar Lunch Fail

I was looking forward to lunch today because it meant the launch of LivingSocial's instant deals, celebrated with $1 lunches all over midtown.  I had my app updated and ready to go, and checked for the deals as soon as I got up this morning.
 
There were a LOT of $1 deals.  Due to my indecisiveness, a lot of them sold out once people started getting to work, but I managed to get one for Otarian, a vegetarian place I've been meaning to try.  However, by the time I got there, I saw that the line circled inside, went out the door and down the block.  It wasn't only there.  I passed some other places with the deal and they had lines down the block too.  It was crazy.  It was 92 degrees, humid and sunny.  There was also no way I had time to wait in that line, considering the long trek back to the office.
 
I thought, since there were only a limited number of deals before each sold out, that it would be manageable and not one of the usual freeloader frenzies.  But it seems like each place gave away a TON of the $1 deals leading to very long lines on a very hot day.  Hopefully if they do this again, the lines won't be so long.  At least it was a risk-free offer -- if you don't use it, they refund the money automatically.  Looking forward to trying the "real" instant deals once this dollar lunch frenzy is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment