Friday, October 3, 2014

Fall Succotash

As the weather turns cooler, I'm starting to venture back to my old Hale and Hearty haunt. This week I tried their Fall Succotash. Per their website it is described as "This tasty vegetarian offering is a medley of fresh corn, wild mushrooms, sweet potatoes, and baby lima beans."


This soup is much thicker than I thought it was going to be. In fact, it was almost like a stew. It was chock full of hearty fall vegetables, and the starch from the corn and lima beans paired really nicely with the subtle sweetness from the tomato-based broth. It was very warming and very comforting and was perfect for the cool Fall weather we had this week.

Speaking of the corn and lima beans, they stayed nice and crisp and offered some nice texture balance to the stewed green and red peppers, onion, mushrooms, and sweet potato. There's also a nice hit of heat at the end that I wasn't expecting. The only thing I would say was a bit of a drawback was that there was a bit of stringiness from either corn husk or the sweet potatoes.

Overall I really liked this soup. It was well balanced flavor-wise, it was incredibly comforting for a cool Fall day, and it was very filling. I would definitely get this soup again.

No comments:

Post a Comment