Friday, January 10, 2014

Week 1 - Eggs

Now that I'm cooking on a regular basis, I have decided to unofficially play along with Reddit's "52 weeks of cooking" challenge for the first time. By play along, I mean that I'm using it for inspiration for meals for the week, and maybe blogging about it here, but not doing much more than that. I'm not sure if I'll participate in all 52 weeks of the challenge, but I think it'll be fun to try something different each week and work outside my comfort zone. I think the challenge rules technically give you three weeks to try out each challenge, but other than week 1 (because it's short and because we've been a little restricted by all of our expiring food), I'm going to attempt to complete each challenge during its assigned week.

The theme for week 1 of the challenge was eggs. Eggs are not my favorite food, but for this challenge, I made two different dishes. Something old and something new. Both cost approximately $5 to make.

Pepper, Onion and Egg Scramble

The dish I made during the actual challenge week was a pepper, onion and egg scramble. We needed to use up 3 bell peppers (red, yellow, orange) and half an onion, so I threw them all into a skillet and added 3 beaten eggs. I was planning to make an omelette. But the ratio of stuff to eggs was really off (we had SO many peppers), so... it became a scramble. I guess using egg beaters for omelettes in the past made me think 3 eggs would be enough, but they weren't. Not for all those peppers. 


I didn't think this scramble really showcased the eggs (probably more about the peppers) and I've made scrambles like this so many times before, so I thought it was better to do another egg dish to capture the spirit of the challenge.

Fresh Herb Omelette with Gravlax

The second dish I made for the egg challenge was gravlaxomelett med örter (fresh herb omelette with gravlax), which came from a Swedish cookbook I got at the library. I would usually just write the cookbook project post here, but since this is an overview of the week and includes the scramble, I posted a separate review of this omelette here.


This omelette had eggs, chives, dill, red onions, goat cheese and smoked salmon, and it was delicious. This was the first omelette I've made with butter and real eggs, and the first with herbs mixed into the eggs, and it came out better than any omelette I've made before (at least the first one did). This was a really great combination and I would definitely make this again.


Week one of the challenge completed! I think this 52 week challenge is going to be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment