Thursday, January 9, 2014

Gravlaxomelett Med Örter

I love the cookbooks section of the library. I don't really need more recipes since, thanks to the internet, I have hundreds of recipes saved to my computer like a big searchable cookbook, but I love reading cookbooks and gazing at the gorgeous photos. I also love books that specialize in cuisines of different world cultures, providing collections of recipes from different regions in a more cohesive unit.

One of the cookbooks I borrowed this fall was The Swedish Table by Helene Henderson. Although so many of the recipes sounded appealing, I didn't save that many of them, since there were a lot that required immersion blenders or lots of butter, neither of which are primary elements of my cooking style (to the extent I have one). Both A and I went through the book and most of the recipes we chose to try ended up being the same. The first one we've made from the set was Gravlaxomelett Med Örter (fresh herb omelette with gravlax).

Ingredients:

This was the perfect recipe to make since we had bought a package of smoked salmon slices from Costco after Christmas, we had dill and eggs that didn't have much left to their shelf life, and it was time for the egg theme in the 52 weeks of cooking challenge.


- 4 eggs, lightly beaten ($1)
- 1/2 cup assorted fresh herbs (dill and chives), finely chopped ($0.80)
- salt and pepper ($0.05)
- butter for skillet cooking ($0.25)
- crumbled goat cheese ($1)
- 5 slices of smoked salmon or gravlax ($1.70)
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely minced ($0.30)

Total for the recipe was approximately $5. Not bad for a light dinner including salmon.

Process:

1. Prep work. This was relatively simple - just onions and herbs, finely chopped/minced in each case.


2. Lightly beat eggs and mix in fresh herbs, salt and pepper.



3. Melt butter in small nonstick skillet and add the egg/herb mixture. Cook until eggs begin to set.


4. Add red onions and goat cheese.


5. Add smoked salmon slices.


6. Fold omelette in half and allow to cook for a few seconds longer on each side.


I repeated the process to make the second omelette but since the pan was much hotter this time around, it came out much more well done. I'm not sure I'll ever make an omelette that looks as good as that first one ever again.


Review:


This recipe was perfect for a light dinner, easy to make and fairly healthy. We loved the red onion, goat cheese, smoked salmon and herbs combination. Everything worked really well together. So fresh and light. It reminded us of one of our favorite breakfasts of lox, cream cheese and red onions on bagels. The chives and dill were great additions to the eggs. I don't know if I ever want to make omelettes without fresh herbs again.


We would definitely make this again (although I should probably use a smaller pan). We still have more smoked salmon, but we're out of eggs, so I guess it will be bagels, cream cheese and salmon going forward (no complaints here!). Glad to have another omelette combination for our repertoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment