Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A Giant Party

When we scheduled our trip to Cancun, it hadn't even crossed our minds that we were going to be away the weekend of the Super Bowl. We would be missing an American holiday! Then the Giants kept winning and got into the Super Bowl, and I couldn't believe that as a lifelong Giants fan I was going to miss watching it. I hoped and hoped that Mexican TV at the resort would end up showing the game, but I didn't know if they would care about American football that much. I was thrilled when I found out that not only were they showing the game, they were having a Super Bowl party that night for all the resort's guests. It was originally supposed to be on the beach under the stars, but I don't need to waste more words on the rain to explain why it was held in the conference rooms instead.


The large conference center was decked out in football decorations and a giant American flag (which felt a little bizarre since we were in Mexico). They also set up an extensive buffet (all the food was probably from World Cafe anyway; it's not like we ate anywhere else) with lots of fried food, salads and desserts.


A special Super Bowl cake was on display (which we would later eat). I don't remember much about the cake except that it was really rich and creamy. But I didn't care at the time I ate it because I was either deliriously happy or preoccupied and stressed out (can't remember exactly when I ate it).


That will probably be my excuse for why I don't remember much about any of the food. I was barely focused on it. I remember that most of the salads were pretty good. The fried food was ... fried food. It's hard to mess up but it was standard and not that special. We do remember that they kept running out of chicken wings and eventually started walking around with platters of them because of the demand.


The desserts were just okay. Lots of cream.


The best part of the entire Super Bowl party was that the Giants won. So happy!


It wasn't where I expected to be celebrating a Giants Super Bowl win, but it was a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment