Thursday, January 23, 2014

Geoffrey Zakarian's Heirloom Bean Soup

It's been a while since I wrote about a Hale and Hearty soup, but I think with the way weather in NYC has been going, it was time to revisit the New York mecca of soup. Lucky me that they brought back the Chef's Series for another round, and this was the first 2-week series. Geoffrey Zakarian brings us his Heirlom Bean Soup.

Heirloom Bean Soup


They describe the soup as: "Appaloosa, Yellow Eye Steuben, Tongues of Fire… These are just some of the dozen exotic beans used in Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian's Heirloom Bean soup. This delicious, robust soup uses beans that have fantastic colors and superior flavor."

The soup starts with a base of onions, celery, tomato, green peppers, leeks, and garlic. It's also filled with tons of spices that I couldn't fully place. Obviously it is also chock full of beans as well. Lots and lots of different types of beans. The first thing I got from this soup was an intense hit of citrus. It was actually really refreshing considering that there was so much starchy bean matter loading the soup. In the end this was a refreshing yet hearty soup that was much lighter than I expected considering how dense the ingredients were, and it's one that, if brought back, I would gladly try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment