Monday, January 6, 2014

Baked Tomatoes

It feels like I've been making a lot of side dishes lately. This past weekend, it was baked tomatoes. A was planning to use two tomatoes to make guacamole, and since the price of Roma tomatoes was cheaper at Trader Joe's than anywhere else, we ended up with a package of five. Perfect for trying a new tomato recipe! I've made my own baked tomatoes before, which I thought were good but not great. This time I decided to search for a well-reviewed recipe, and picked this recipe from the Neelys on the Food Network site.

Ingredients:

One of the best things about this recipe is that we already had all the ingredients in our kitchen.


- 3 Roma tomatoes ($1.19)
- 2 small shallots ($0.20)
- 3 garlic cloves ($0.05)
- Panko bread crumbs ($0.40)
- Red pepper flakes ($0.05)
- Cilantro ($0.15)
- 1/4 cup of grated parmesan ($0.75)
- Olive oil ($0.15)

This made a great appetizer/side dish for about $3 (all approximate costs since some of this stuff we've had for awhile). Not a bad deal.

Process:

Other than not really measuring most ingredients and substituting cilantro for parsley, I pretty much followed the recipe exactly as written. I remember taking more photos of the prep that seem to have oddly vanished from my phone, but the procedure is the same as the original recipe.

Mix together the panko, shallots, garlic, red pepper flakes, cilantro, parmesan, salt, pepper and some olive oil for the filling.


Cut tomatoes in half, scoop out the insides, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle some salt and pepper, fill with the bread crumb mixture.


Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes. Drizzle olive oil after taking tomatoes out of the oven.


Golden brown and gorgeous baked tomatoes!

Review:


These baked tomatoes were really tasty. The combination for the bread crumb mixture is just better than what I came up with on my own that time (with feta, red onions, and other seasonings). I think the milder shallots and parmesan just worked better, and using panko instead of regular bread crumbs gave it a nice crunchiness. I would definitely make these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment