Thursday, December 12, 2013

Turkey Gobbler

Thanksgiving has come and gone, and a lot of those seasonal foods are no longer on the shelves. However my review of the Trader Joe's turkey gobbler wrap is still not posted from when I tried it a month ago, so here it is. I usually delete these seasonal food posts if they don't go up in time, but since I think this sandwich returns annually (and maybe it's still around, I haven't checked recently), I'll keep the review.


I love holiday sandwiches (for example, see here, here, here, here and here), so I definitely wanted to try the turkey gobbler wrap. It consists of roast turkey and stuffing (like many other holiday sandwiches), but also has cranberry cream cheese (which I found really intriguing). All of those items are wrapped up in a flour tortilla with a "festive dipping sauce" (aka gravy) on the side.


The wrap was interesting. The turkey, instead of being thinly sliced like carved turkey or cold cuts, had a consistency closer to grilled chicken and showed up in thick blocks. It wasn't as flavorful as freshly cooked turkey, but it wasn't bad. The stuffing, which is usually my favorite part, didn't have a ton of flavor, and mostly just added a rich creaminess with a little bit of spices. The cranberry cream cheese was also rich and creamy (although points for including actual cranberries and not just making it a cranberry flavored cream cheese spread), which meant that overall this sandwich was a lot creamier and richer than a lot of other holiday sandwiches. The gravy was fine, but nothing special.

I am lukewarm on this sandwich (especially compared to the offerings at Cosi and Pret and others), but it isn't a bad offering (certainly better than what we tried previously at Panera). Would I get it again? I'm undecided, but it was definitely worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment