Tuesday, December 17, 2013

National Cupcake Day

Last Sunday was National Cupcake Day, but we observed it on Friday instead. When they're giving out free cupcakes over lunch, why not make it a Cupcake Friday?


Just like last year, Cupcake Vineyards gave out free cupcakes (and had wine tastings at various liquor stores) for National Cupcake Day. However, this year I'm not sure if they ran their promotion out of the Sweetery truck again. The cupcakes didn't taste the same as some of the other Sweetery cupcakes I've had. Doesn't mean they can't change their recipe, but this reminded me of those bulk cupcake boxes you can get from Costco. I do still like the Costco mini cupcakes though, and when the icing is a bit chilled (thanks to it being so cold outside), they're even better. We both thought the free cupcakes were good, just nothing really remarkable or special. But free!

I got chocolate cake with vanilla icing. A went earlier in the day and they had red velvet. When it comes to free cupcakes though, I'm not really very picky. Would I have preferred yellow cake with vanilla icing? Sure. But I wasn't going to hold up the line like a woman ahead of me looking and rejecting every single cupcake combination until she found one she liked (no indication of any allergy or other health reason, just personal preference). They're free. Just take what they give you if they don't offer choices!

A surprised me later in the evening with a cupcake from Amy's Bread for dessert! (Funny how we always go to Amy's Bread for sweets, but never really buy bread...)


He knows how much I love cupcakes and especially how much I love sprinkles, so he made sure to get one with as many sprinkles as possible (and the friendly worker was happy to oblige). This surprise made me really happy. The cupcake had just the right amount of sweetness and was soft, fluffy and delicious. And it looked beautiful too! I really don't understand why so many people go to Magnolia for cupcakes when their cupcakes are so overly and cloyingly sweet, and there are so many better options out there.

Amy's Bread was definitely the winner in this cupcake battle, which was no surprise as their cupcakes are always good. Love an excuse to get cupcakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment