Saturday, December 14, 2013

Spinach Roll

I'm really glad Pie Face has opened so many outlets in NYC. They may not have the healthiest food, but I think (along with tacos) they're the perfect tasty snack.


And who doesn't love the cute labels?

I remember the first one that opened last year, which was basically a counter and take-out shop. Now they seem to be opening everywhere and the one I visited in Chelsea yesterday had customers relaxing with laptops plugged in, like an Australian coffee shop with pies. I love the vibe. I also have a lot of goodwill for Pie Face, as they are generous with giveaways when they open new stores or have new products, and they did that free monthly pie (pay with a tweet) promotion for almost the entire second half of this year. It's proof that treating your customers well and having promotions every so often really works and encourages them to keep coming back.  


I usually have pies at Pie Face but this time I decided to switch it up and get a roll. They have multiple types of rolls there - sausage, chicken and bacon, etc - and I went with their vegetarian option, the spinach roll, which also had ricotta and feta cheese.


The roll was crispy on the outside and reminded me of spanakopita, the Greek spinach pie, but with less flaky dough. I really love spinach and cheese mixed together in pie form, so it shouldn't be a surprise that I really liked this.


For some reason the combination of yellow table, light and angle kept putting black bars in my photos of the pie interior... this is the best I could get!

We tried a sausage roll at the original Pie Face grand opening. I remember not liking it as much as the Tuck Shop one (a very, very high bar), but after liking the spinach roll this much, perhaps it is time to give the sausage roll another try. I'm glad to see so many Pie Face outlets when I walk around. It means there is always someplace friendly to drop in for a tasty snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment