Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Crisp on Wheels

I've been to Crisp a number of times, usually getting the Africa handbag sandwich, but sometimes branching out for other sandwiches, getting sandwiches in salad form instead, or ordering non-falafel-ball items like burgers and pizza.  I've never tried Crisp's food truck - Crisp on Wheels - but it was nearby today when I was wandering around looking for lunch so I decided to give it a try.


I ordered the Africa salad with whole wheat pizza and was surprised when I saw the price.  For some reason I missed the fine print that getting any handbag sandwich as a bowl would cost $1.50 more.  I knew it cost extra at the store but for some reason I didn't see the fine print on the menu here (it was definitely there when I looked later though) and thought they were both the same price.  That's part of the reason I ordered a salad instead of my usual sandwich.  Oh well.  My own mistake pushed the price just over $10.  More than I was hoping to spend, but at least they take credit cards.

My to-go bag contained a take-out container full of lettuce and salad toppings, a small paper bag with 4 falafel balls, and another small bag with their fluffy whole wheat pita.  It was nice that they packaged the falafel separately to keep it crispy.  Sadly, it didn't look to me like the salad contained $1.50 more of ingredients (other than lettuce which is not very expensive).


I compared this bowl with the ones I've gotten previously.  There was much more of the North African peanut sauce and habanero harissa sauce here, making the salad creamier and zestier than the ones I've had previously.  Like the others, there was plenty of corn salad, cherry tomatoes and green onions which made me happy.  And there was one other change that I liked much better here - the sweet potatoes were soft pieces, matching up well with the creamy sauce, unlike the fried slices I've had before.  But like all the previous times I've ordered the Crisp Africa, it was delicious.


The Africa combination is still my favorite out of all the Crisp combinations.  I wonder if they will ever come up with something new to displace it!

No comments:

Post a Comment