Friday, May 4, 2012

Derby Walnut Pie

The Thursday custard this month is derby walnut pie.  Neither of us was sure what to expect from this custard but we hoped it would be good.


M's thoughts:
When I picked this up at Shake Shack, it looked at first like any other chocolate custard.  But before they gave me the cover, they took it to the back and sprinkled some walnuts on it.  That was promising, since I like the custards with things mixed in.  In addition to the walnuts sprinkled all over the top (which were not mixed in, so I think in order to make it derby "walnut" pie, they need to add those walnuts on top), there was a darker colored chocolate cake mousse type of thing mixed in to the custard, which gave it different flavors and textures.  I really liked this combination, even though I'm not a big walnut fan.  I don't know what derby walnut pie is supposed to taste like, but I liked the combination of chocolate and walnut here.

A's thoughts:
I wasn't sure what to expect with this flavor. I've never had a walnut pie, but I really like pie. I couldn't pin the flavor of the actual custard itself, but it tasted really good. Couple that with the crushed walnut on top and the odd, mousse-like darker brown custard made this a really good mix. My guess is that the darker brown is meant to be a maple flavored custard. If a walnut pie is anything like a pecan pie that would make sense. It was a really tasty dessert, and I would definitely consider getting it again.

Derby Walnut Pie
A's rating: 8.5/10
M's rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment