Thursday, May 3, 2012

Oatmeal Crème Pie

The first new custard we tried this month was oatmeal crème pie.  As we mentioned in the preview, we were really excited for this one.


M's thoughts:
I haven't had an oatmeal cream pie before so I didn't go into this custard with any expectations.  Based on google searches, it seemed like it would be like a whoopie pie but made with oatmeal cookies. I was hoping that this custard would have cookie pieces mixed in but it didn't. Tasting this custard, all I got was oatmeal cookie, kind of like an oatmeal raisin cookie. It tasted OK but I was just hoping for something more unique based on the flavor name.

A's thoughts:
I grew up eating Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies as treats. I loved the chewy oatmeal cookies and the creamy, sweet interior. I had serious concerns about this flavor since I had such fond memories of the actual dessert. My first bite of the custard offered a hint of oatmeal cookie flavoring. It was actually pretty spot on. However, the more I ate, the more it devolved into just tasting more like plain vanilla. The custard itself also was missing that distinct cream filling flavor. I would have preferred trying to make the custard taste like the filling and then crumbling in oatmeal cookie pieces, but I understand that it would probably much more expensive doing it that way. Still, this ended up just being a minor disappointment.

Oatmeal Crème Pie
A's rating: 6/10
M's rating: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment