Monday, July 11, 2011

Happy Birthday Shake Shack

This past weekend, one year ago, was a big weekend. The long-awaited Shake Shack Theatre District finally opened (after many days of me walking by and checking on status) and the World Cup ended, officially marking an end to our eating challenge. What a great summer.

To celebrate Shake Shack TD's first birthday, they had some specials at our local Shake Shack - a deli dog topped with pastrami (that I guess we had before but only A remembered that) and birthday cake concrete (which I had once before in November and loved). We were waiting for a sofa to be delivered at home so I went out to see if I could bring Shake Shack home to commemorate the occasion.

It was packed and the line was down the block. After all, it was a Sunday in the summer. C-line (the line for cold food only) was the way to go.


The birthday cake concrete consists of custard plus cake. The one I had last November had vanilla custard with chocolate cake, marshmallow sauce and rainbow sprinkles. This one was a little different, but I'm looking at this picture now and realizing they never asked me vanilla or chocolate for the custard. They seemed a little overloaded (more on that coming up).


This custard didn't have chocolate cake but it was like they mixed in a real birthday cake with the icing and everything. The green icing with the custard was probably my favorite part.


But do you notice anything off with this picture? Maybe something that says that they were rushing through the orders and didn't care as much?

We love Shake Shack, but where is the rest of the concrete? That concrete isn't even close to full. I thought maybe I just forgot how much they fill it up but I went back to look at photos of old concretes. While the fill level varies from concrete to concrete, they all had more than this. How disappointing, especially when birthday cake concrete is my favorite of them all. Unfortunately since I got it to-go, I didn't notice until I was picking up lunch elsewhere and almost home.

In any event, happy birthday Shake Shack! If you see this, can we please get another half concrete to make up for this empty one?

No comments:

Post a Comment