Saturday, July 23, 2011

Cafe 45

It was 103 degrees when I went for lunch today. Too hot to trek too far for lunch, but I still took a walk around the block before stopping at Cafe 45, a new midtown deli that opened this week. (For those unfamiliar with what these generic delis are, they're those "one-stop" places you can go for lunch to pick up sandwiches, paninis, salads, soups. Many are owned by Asian people and have Asian food counters like udon, etc. They usually also have a hot/cold bar.)

I think the balloon people are cute

I don't usually go to the generic delis because they're not that exciting, but a 50% off grand opening special will draw me in. I got a salad (always craving those in hot weather), which is $6.95 for the small size.

The giant spinach leaf blocks everything else

For the base price, you get the greens, 1 item from group A (meats), 1 item from group B (nuts) and 3 items from group C (your regular vegetables). I don't put nuts in salad so I was able to switch it for 1 from group A and 4 from group C. Group C is cheaper so they were better off anyway.

I got a spinach salad with spicy chicken, chickpeas, onions, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes. It was fine. Nothing special, but good for a hot day like today (and for under $4, even better!). I did like that the vegetables all seemed very fresh, especially the onions. Some of the generic salad counters have veggies that are just OK.

Cafe 45 also has some Asian options like bibimbap. Maybe I'll try that next time.

Cafe 45 is on 45th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues (closer to 5th).

No comments:

Post a Comment