Saturday, July 23, 2011

Coolhaus

When word that LA-based truck Coolhaus was bringing its ice cream sandwich slinging ways to NYC, there was definite excitement within the food enthusiast (M and I don't like the term "foodie") community. This truck was especially exciting for me as I love ice cream. It could be 30 degrees below 0 and I would still go out and eat ice cream. In fact, I think I may have done that in the past...

Anyway, months have since passed since their trucks started hitting the NYC pavement, and many glowing reviews have been written. M and I had still not had a chance to locate and consume their delectable frozen treats, though. My coworker R and I had made a previous attempt when they were parked right down the street from our office, but when we got there the truck seemed to be having issues, and no one was serving.

This time, we got much luckier. R and I made the trek over to Bryant Park in search of an afternoon snack. We approached the beautiful pink, slanted-topped truck with excitement as there was only one person in line reading the menu. I opted for the special of the day: peanut butter cookies with bananas foster ice cream.

Coolhaus Truck

Ice Cream Sandwich

The sandwiches are by no means small. Two cookies roughly 3.5 inches in diameter sandwich a giant glob of ice cream between them. It all comes with a piece of edible paper surrounding them so you can eat the drippings that are caught. Oh, and there will be drippings. These sandwiches get pretty messy.

Luckily, R has started buying into my blogging so he offered to take a picture of me eating the sandwich. I happily accepted.

Cramming my face

That initial bite into the sandwich wasn't the best. I was expecting a softer set of cookies since my idea of a peanut butter cookie is soft and chewy, but these were a little on the harder side. Added to my mistake was that I took a pretty big bite. Walking in near 90 degree heat and then taking a huge bite into ice cold ice cream really didn't feel good on my mouth. Flavor-wise, it was amazing. Feeling-wise, my teeth froze in ways that I never knew they could.

After the initial pain subsided, I started to think about the flavors I had swirling in my mouth. The cookies, even though they were harder than my normal preference, had all of the wonderful peanut butter flavor you would want. The ice cream was subtle in its flavor, but you could definitely taste the banana as well as the caramel undertones you would expect out of bananas foster. Overall it was an amazing sandwich. Perhaps the one benefit of the cookies being slightly hard is that they kept squishing ice cream out the sides whenever I took a bite so it slowed down my eating. That allowed me to savor the sandwich for longer as R lamented that he had eaten his too quickly.

I really hope to visit Coolhaus again, and next time I'm hoping M can come as well since I know this is something she would enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment