Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Afgolemono

The test for me, to determine which place warrants a "lunch favorite" designation, is to determine if I would walk across town (or at least 15 minutes) for it. There are some for which I would do this but don't have to (like El Rey del Sabor, yum), but others are actually across town and I do make the trek. I don't always have a lot of time at lunch but when I do, I like to take a walk and get some exercise in along with good food.

One of these places for which I make the trip across town is Uncle Gussy's over at 51st and Park. I've written about them before and how good their sandwiches are. They had some problems last fall where the police kept trying to kick them out for no reason (and as a result had a customer appreciation day to clear out the inventory where everything was free), but hopefully that's all resolved now. Otherwise we wouldn't get affordable tasty lunches with specials made by mom!


Cute mini pinscher wants my soup!

Today they had afgolemono soup, which is a chicken lemon orzo soup (of course, made by mom). It comes in a small to medium sized cup (depends on your perspective) for $3 and it's absolutely delicious. I told A that it's too bad he doesn't work anywhere close to the truck because this chicken soup could probably cure your illnesses. Unlike other chicken soups which are watery (Europa, I'm looking at you and your watery soup bins), the soup is thick, full of orzo and chicken and so flavorful.

In addition to the soup, I picked up what I still consider to be one of the best deals for lunch in midtown - the $4 pita sandwich with chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, grilled onions, tzatziki and hot sauce. Yum. As I've mentioned before, their chicken just seems better than chicken elsewhere.

It's all completely worth the walk through the "ice" (it's supposed to be Icemageddon but where's the ice?) and slush. You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment