Sunday, February 13, 2011

Yakisoba

Tonight we went to Sapporo for dinner. A was in the mood for some ramen since it's cold, and we found ourselves there after checking out a few other places with no seats and long lines. We've been there a few times before and like them because they're quick and the ramen is good.


In addition to ramen, they also have other standard Japanese appetizers like gyoza and curry croquettes, donburi (I've gotten oyakodon before) and other specialties like sukiyaki and yakisoba.


A got the Sapporo special ramen which he's had before, and we got an order of gyoza, which we've also had before. I decided on the yakisoba, which was new to us. I think it caught my eye because I had seen a bunch of people get it at Sunrise Mart during lunch and I still hadn't tried it there, so I thought I would try it here.

The yakisoba comes with a bowl of miso soup (which comes almost immediately after you order). I liked this miso soup because it had lots of green onions.


The yakisoba plate was a lot bigger than I thought it would be. By the end of dinner, the plate was clean other than some ginger, but that's only because I had A's help. For $8.50, it was a really good deal considering how much you get.


If you're not familiar with yakisoba, it's basically pan fried ramen noodles with vegetables and meat (I got chicken), flavored with yakisoba sauce, and topped with seaweed powder. It was really good. This one also came with a side salad of cabbage and peppers with what tasted like a rice vinegar dressing. The pink stuff is the ginger, which I only used sparingly, as I'm not really a ginger person.

Generally, the yakisoba was good. There were a couple of pieces of chicken that were a little dry, but for the most part, it was good. The noodles were quite tasty and I liked the mixed in vegetables. I could get this as takeout during work (I've gotten ramen to go before), but I think it might give me food coma if I ate it all. I'm not sure that I've ever eaten yakisoba before, but it definitely goes into the "like" column for me.

Sapporo is located on 49th Street near 7th Avenue. They are cash only.

No comments:

Post a Comment