Thursday, July 8, 2010

Menina Mash

On the second day of the World Cup, I wanted to get up early to watch South Korea and Greece play, but 7:30 am was a little too early to get up, even for something that only comes around every 4 years.

I decided to get my third World Cup "meal" as a snack on the way to the beer garden to watch the USA-England game (more on that in a later post). We don't live far from Poseidon Bakery, the Hell's Kitchen institution that sells awesome pies. One needs lunch, or at the very least a snack, before going to a beer garden, right?

A sampling of some of Poseidon's pies

The Menina Mash pie is one of my favorites (and the first one I ever tried). It's full of flavor and full of healthy vegetables. The outside of the pie is always perfectly flaky and the pies are stuffed full. I have on occasion walked all the way here from work to get pies for lunch, and even though we live nearby and can go anytime, we always get a pie during the 9th Avenue food fair. They're really good. And the people there are so nice. Sometimes they have free samples (I had a dessert one once).

Blurry Menina Mash pie (we were walking!)

Even though it's 1:30 am and I need to sleep (and am too full of tabouli to be hungry), now I want a Menina Mash pie. If it's any cooler tomorrow (unlike the past few days hitting the century mark), maybe I'll get one for lunch. Yum.

Poseidon Bakery is located in Hell's Kitchen on 9th Avenue between 44th and 45th Streets. They're not open late.

* For those keeping track of the World Cup tally, together we've gone to 1 (South Africa) and I've made it to 3 (Mexico, South Africa, Greece).

No comments:

Post a Comment