Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Common Lunches

I love working in the West 30s because the area is so full of amazing food options for lunch. It's actually kind of sad that I often end up going to the deli that's downstairs in my building due to time, but I have to count myself lucky since it's actually one of the better delis that I've ever eaten in.

If you've ever walked up 8th Ave between Madison Square Garden and Times Square, you've probably walked by Village 38 and not known it. Is it flashy and fancy? Of course not, it's a NYC deli. What it offers is an amazing hot/cold bar, great deli sandwiches, and an ever changing array of options. Their soups are what keep me going in winter. Very hearty, very filling, and extremely flavorful. I fell in love with the Indian Curry Yellow Split Pea soup the first time I had it, and I try to get it every time it's cold and it's there. The first thing I ever got there was their Village Special #5 Sandwich. It's grilled chicken, mozzarella, lettuce, tomato, and honey mustard on a hero. I ended up switching out the mozzarella with pepper jack because I like a little zing. It's been my go-to sandwich ever since. The nice thing is that since it's a "special" it comes with a can of soda too.

Lately I've been filling myself up on their hot/cold bar. It's not the cheapest option but it's such good food. It's Korean-owned, and they make amazing jap chae. Their boneless chicken with onions in a soy glaze is divine. And if you're lucky enough to hit the days when they have their Italian Eggplant Pie count yourself lucky. I've never actually seen any tomatoes in it, but it literally tastes like a non-fried eggplant parmigiana smothered in tomato sauce. One simply awesome dish.

While I don't like grabbing a quick lunch because it means I'm most likely eating at my desk, at least I have a really really good deli option to waste all of my money on.

No comments:

Post a Comment