Saturday, January 2, 2016

An Abundance of Dill

Sometimes trying to use up leftover ingredients in the fridge can yield the most tasty results. This time, I had about 1/4 lb of ground turkey, 1/2 lb of chicken breakfast sausage, most of a bottle of white wine, a very large bunch of dill, a few carrots, a third of a head of garlic, and half a container of mushrooms to use up (mostly left over from the wedding soup). I started thinking about the white wine and dill tofu recipe that I had done for a challenge back in 2014 and wondered if I could use a similar profile with the ground poultry since I had so much dill. It was worth a shot.


I heated up some olive oil and then added the ground turkey and chicken sausage (without casings) to the pan. Luckily I had A's help so I could do additional prep work while everything was cooking, so he worked on breaking up the meat while it was cooking. Once the meat was pretty much done, I added some chopped onions, mushrooms, and carrots to the pan and we just let everything saute for a while.

For the sauce, I mixed together all of the chopped dill (and there was a lot of it), chopped garlic (about 4 cloves), a few tbsp of white wine, a few tbsp of white wine vinegar, a few tbsp of olive oil, 2 spoonfuls of whole grain mustard, a little bit of honey, and a little bit of salt. (If it's not obvious, I didn't measure anything.) The sauce didn't taste quite right, so A suggested more sweetness. At that point, I added a few tsp of agave, and that made all the difference.


After the vegetables had released a lot of their water, I added the sauce to the meat and vegetables, and let it simmer for a bit while I prepped stuff for the cookie challenge. It turned out better than I could have ever expected. I thought all of those ingredients might go together, but wasn't sure if the sauce would be enough flavoring for the dish. I was pretty happy with dinner, and would make this again for sure, even as a planned dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment