Thursday, December 3, 2015

Thanksgiving Turkey Dinner Soup Redux

Last year I tried Hale and Hearty's Thanksgiving Turkey Dinner Soup. I didn't check to see if I had tried it before, and I ended up getting it again today. I'm glad I did, though. The description on the website is the same as it was last year: "Why wait for Thanksgiving? Everything you like about the day after our favorite holiday can be had now, without your uncle snoring." Granted, this is the week after Thanksgiving, but whatever :)


The nice thing about me not having re-read my last post prior to ordering is that they appear to have changed the recipe this year. Gone are the cranberries, peas, and carrots. Instead, this soup is a simple blend of impossibly soft turkey, fresh corn, roasted butternut squash (or maybe those were sweet potatoes...), celery, onion, and herbs and spices. The soup was also creamier and richer. It wasn't pot pie-ish, but it had that same warm and comforting feel to it. I couldn't place the overall flavor, but it was definitely familiar. It also didn't have the sweetness and tartness like last year's soup because of the lack of cranberries, but I think I prefer it this way.

Overall this year's soup seemed, at least to me, to be a much better version of last year's. I do like how they pared down the "dishes" aspect to straight up turkey and vegetables. While the cranberries were a novel flavor and idea, I don't think they meshed as well with the rest of the soup. I love that Hale and Hearty switched things up a bit with their soup recipe. I find that constant reflection and tweaking/improving is the key to staying fresh and at the forefront of people's minds. This soup is the perfect representation of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment