Saturday, December 26, 2015

Chicken and Green Chile Tamales

Every year around the holidays I've noticed that Trader Joe's starts selling lots of tamales in the refrigerated section. Maybe they're there year-round and I just haven't noticed, but this year I decided to pick up a bag. There were a bunch of options but I went with the chicken and green chile tamales, which came in a bag of 6 tamales for $6.99.


I've tried some of the tamales from the TJ's frozen section before (even if I never got around to blogging about them). They're usually pretty good, but I think these premade tamales from the refrigerated section are actually better in both texture and flavor. The main ingredients in the filling of these tamales were tomatillos, chicken, onion, cilantro, serranos, garlic, epazote, and cumin. It's been a while since I've gotten similar tamales from the frozen section so I'm not entirely sure how close the two are in terms of filling, but these tamales were really good. They basically tasted like chicken stewed in a great salsa verde and stuffed into a tamale. Pretty easy to make too. Just wrap the tamales in a wet paper towel, put it on a plate under plastic wrap, and microwave for a few minutes. Super simple.


Buy Again? Yes. They're a super quick lunch/dinner, and tasted great. I'm a little apprehensive about making my own tamales since it's supposed to be quite labor intensive and take many hours, so $7 for 6 tamales seems like a pretty good deal to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment