Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Macadamia Mojo

Sometime last fall I went on a bar-buying spree. It was a combination of coupons, store sales, and wanting to branch out from my usual chocolate-coconut Luna bars and Greek yogurt bars that I keep on hand. I found a bunch of bars that were well-priced after sales and stocked up. One of the bars I picked up for the first time was the Clif Mojo - a "sweet and salty trail mix bar" - in the white chocolate macadamia flavor. 


When I broke open the package, my first thought was that this bar looked a lot like a Rice Krispie treat in texture. Lots of little pieces held together by sticky stuff (that looked white like marshmallows even though that wasn't an ingredient). I wasn't that far off considering the first two ingredients are brown rice syrup and soy rice crisps. The bar also had white chocolate, pretzels, macadamia nuts, cashews, macadamia nut butter, and roasted soybeans (plus some other ingredients I wouldn't be able to identify). It sounded like there would be a good balance of salty (pretzels and nuts), sweet (chocolate, rice crisps and syrups) and nutty/earthy (from all the various nuts). Although I'm not usually a fan of trail mix (because of all the nuts), I thought I might like this combination. 


Not so much. Although it sounded like it would be a good cross between salty and sweet, the bar was just really heavy on the salty side. I barely got any sweet from it at all. I could only get through half of it before tiring of it, so I left the rest for A to try, as he is a bigger fan of trail mix than I am. But he didn't like it any more than I did, also finding it to be not very balanced and more salty than sweet. He also didn't know what flavor it was outside of "trail mix" and didn't taste any white chocolate or macadamia. Normally macadamias have a nice, rich flavor, but he got none of that, and he had no sweetness at all from any white chocolate. Perhaps some other flavors of Clif Mojo bars are better, but I don't think we'll get this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment