Saturday, March 8, 2014

Spinach Tortellini

Way back in the summer, I said I was going to start putting up individual posts reviewing different Trader Joe's products (instead of one giant post like the one I'd been building all summer)... but since then I never posted about those products! It's long overdue that I finish that project. (Can you tell I am going through the draft archives right now?) First up, the spinach tortellini ($1.99).


We were really excited to try this. I love tortellini - plain, with sauces, in salads, etc - so I was hoping this would be good since it was so affordable. Unfortunately, this was mostly a miss for us. It wasn't terrible but it just had very little flavor of its own. It was like eating a bowl of garden marinara sauce with some chewy (in a good way) pasta pieces. Tortellini stuffed with spinach, ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan should have had more flavor than they did. Even without any sauce, the texture of the tortellini was fine, but there was really no flavor - spinach or cheese - present.

Buy Again? No. It's really cheap (I think it's the cheapest tortellini there) but it wasn't what we were hoping for. The only reason we would get it again would be to use in a recipe where the flavor of the tortellini itself doesn't matter that much and it's just there as a "vehicle."

No comments:

Post a Comment