Sunday, March 16, 2014

Corner Bakery Cafe

Ever since M and I moved from Chicago, I hadn't been to Corner Bakery Cafe. It seems like almost every day I was grabbing a sandwich and soup combo since it was right across the street from my first office. It's been over 8 years since I had a chance to eat there, and when I found out that they had opened a new branch near the office of my client in Rhode Island, I was extremely excited.

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup and Chicken Pomodori Panini 

When I went, my favorite meal was a soup and sandwich combo of their Roasted Tomato Basil Soup and their Chicken Pomodori Panini so obviously I had to get that again... twice. I had to go twice because I was so excited the first time I basically inhaled my food happily but way too quickly. The good thing is that it tasted just as good as I remembered it.

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

The roasted tomato basil soup comes topped with their homemade spicy croutons. They add a nice balance with the mild spiciness and also a bit of crunch to the soup. The soup itself is amazing, though. It has a more than subtle sweetness from the tomatoes themselves, and the basil adds an herbaceous flavor to the whole ensemble. They also added garlic which adds just a hint of flavor to the soup. What I like the most about this soup is that it's not salty. Corner Bakery really lets the sweetness dominate the overall flavor profile.


Chicken Pomodori Panini

I guess the official name for this is Chicken Pomodori on Sourdough. It is described as "all-natural chicken, fresh basil and spinach, oven-roasted tomatoes and provolone cheese with pesto mayo" on their website, and the flavors of the sandwich complement the soup extremely well. The cheese and pesto mayo add more saltiness to balance out the sweetness of the roasted tomatoes as well a little creaminess. The chicken is sliced thin to not dominate each bite, and the bread is crisped perfectly to offer a bite and crunch while staying nice and soft inside. The basil adds that same herbaceous flavor as it does with the soup, and the spinach adds more leafy texture as well as health benefits.

Separately these two components are really tasty, but my favorite way of eating this is to dunk the sandwich into the soup and letting soften up a bit while absorbing some of the sweetness as well. I'm not saying you have to eat it that way, but if you grew up dipping grilled cheese into tomato soup, this might make sense for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment