Saturday, March 29, 2014

Poached Eggs and Polenta

For the first part of the Week 7 poaching challenge, I made poached eggs with polenta (and a side of mushrooms), loosely adapted from this Serious Eats recipe. The main difference between our dinner and that recipe was that I didn't make the polenta cakes from scratch. It was quicker and more convenient to use a tube of pre-cooked polenta. Although I'm sure the from-scratch polenta cakes would be tasty, sometimes you just need to take a shortcut.

Ingredients:


- 4 eggs ($0.70)
- 1 tube of polenta ($1.99)
- handful of chives ($0.42)
- a few tsp of rice vinegar ($0.15)

At $3.26, this was really affordable. Cheaper than the mushroom side dish we made that night! And we had some polenta left over for another day.

Process:

The polenta was easy, since I chose to not make the polenta from scratch. I just sliced the tube into rounds and pan-fried them for a few minutes on each side until they were golden.


Next, I poached the eggs. (For details on the egg poaching, see the Week 7 technique post here.)


To finish off the dish, I topped everything with some finely chopped chives.


Review:

We really liked the polenta cakes with poached eggs. We've always been big fans of the pre-cooked polenta from Trader Joe's and the poached eggs were the perfect accompaniment.


I had never really had poached eggs before making them for dinner. Turned out that I liked them more than I thought I would. Would definitely try making this again, with or without the polenta.

No comments:

Post a Comment