Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Wickedwich

We've been to Hill Country Chicken more than 10 times, yet we've still never written about it (despite starting several times). I think part of the issue was that we kept adding every visit to the same post with the intention of publishing one giant post about all the good stuff at Hill Country Chicken, but it just got so monstrous that we never made any progress. Probably better to just talk about what we've been getting recently in pieces so we don't forget whether we liked it!


On my first few visits to Hill Country Chicken, I got chicken tenders or a fried chicken breast, but lately I've been getting their fried chicken sandwiches. I've made no secret of my love for fried chicken sandwiches, and on my most recent visit, I got the Wickedwich, which I think I got before, but since I never posted about it, am not 100% sure. The Wickedwich is a fried chicken breast with "spicy (but not too spicy!) honey, red onion, cheddar cheese, and sour pickles." It's $9.50, so not cheap fast food, but not as much as a sit-down restaurant could be.


I'm a big fan of this sandwich, although it's a little bit messy to eat because the honey drips everywhere. One of the best parts of the Hill Country Chicken sandwiches is that the chicken itself is always good, very juicy and never dry. They absolutely get the fried chicken part right. The cheese adds some richness, the honey has a little bit of zing to it (but really isn't spicy), and the red onion and pickles provide freshness and crispness. It's a nice, balanced combination, and I would definitely get this again (after trying all of the other fried chicken sandwich options).

Hill Country Chicken is located at 1123 Broadway, right near Madison Square Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment