Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Overflowing Onions in Ohio

The Ohio Turnpike has some of the best rest stops we've ever experienced on the interstate. I thought that when I first drove through Ohio over 10 years ago and it's still true today. (To be fair, there are many states neither of us have driven through, but Ohio to me is still the best.) Since it's a toll road, it's not as simple to just get off at any exit for a meal or a break, but they definitely make up for it with the nice rest stops/travel plazas.

Anyway, we stopped for gas at the rest stop in Amherst, Ohio, and I decided to get a snack. Although I briefly considered Popeye's, I was really just looking for a small snack to make it through the next 2 hours or so that it would take to drive to our hotel and check in before dinner. I may have mentioned previously my love for onion rings, and since there was a Burger King in this rest stop, I decided to get some. I ordered a medium and when I got the bag, it looked like this.


That was a pretty full cup of onion rings plus a ton of onion rings in the bigger bag. I wondered if Burger King's fry/ring policy had changed so that they were more like Five Guys after I saw that, but that wasn't the case. The person working there explained that whoever dropped the onion rings put in way more than they should have for a medium order, so they just gave me the rest. That was pretty sweet. Of course, this was the one time I was specifically looking for a small snack to tide us over until dinner, but I'm not going to complain about getting a ton of free rings. I shared them with A, who was originally not planning to eat any, and off we went, eating onion rings while driving through Ohio and then taking in a pretty sunset. So far we hadn't hit any amazing food places on the road trip, but we were still having a good driving day!

No comments:

Post a Comment