Thursday, April 14, 2011

Boostii-q

The past two times I went to Freshii, I got the same thing - the warrior chicken bowl - which I generally liked. Today I decided to get something different and got a salad from the special "Freshii 15" menu. That menu has different combinations which are supposed to be good for your health. Considering I'm trying to slim down, eat less and eat better (not easy to do when you're ordering delivery every day at the office), I was all for trying something like this.


I decided on the "boostii-q" (although when filling out the clipboard with my order, it took awhile because I just couldn't remember how to spell it). After weeding out all the dishes containing broccoli (which I can't eat), my eyes immediately zoomed in on jack cheese and cilantro, and the decision was made.


The boostii-q contains, according to the menu, "freshii mix" and romaine, bbq chicken, jack and cheddar cheese, avocado, sweet corn, cucumbers, diced tomatoes, cilantro, lemon juice and a "dash" of sriracha. Sounds good, right?

On first glance, it looked like any other salad from any generic midtown deli (although I'm sure the ingredient quality is better than some of them). Most of the "toppings" were concentrated near the bottom of the bowl, leaving lots of mixed greens on top.


A better look at some of the ingredients:


I wasn't a huge fan of the salad. I liked the warrior chicken bowl much better. I think my biggest problem with it was that all I tasted was the sriracha and lemon juice combination, which was very strong. It gave the salad a nice amount of spice, but it completely overpowered all of the vegetable ingredients (and the cheese). Every so often I tasted a little celery and you could still taste some of the chicken, but everything else in the bowl just tasted like sriracha lemon juice. I don't even know if the cilantro made it into the bowl and when I saw corn and cucumbers in the description, I had to consult the picture to see whether or not they had been there. I like good dressings but I would still like to taste the vegetables in my salad.

Next time (whenever that is; I planned to go to Freshii over a month ago and only made it over today), I think I will go for a wrap or one of the rice bowls. Even though they contain rice instead of salad greens, they felt healthier and were tastier. (I think this salad has something like 21g of fat, so while the calorie count is good, I'm not sure how it's really that healthy.) I'm glad I tried the salad, because it satisfied my curiosity (for some reason when they kept talking about mixing your salad in plastic bags, I thought they just gave it to you in a bag without a bowl) but I think I'll stick to the rice bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment