Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Curried Eggplant and Lentil Soup

Today was the coldest day of the season in NYC. Of course that means I'm going to get some soup. I checked the Hale and Hearty website and found quite a few options that sounded really good. M noted one that she had tried the Curried Eggplant and Lentil soup previously and really liked it. On her recommendation I went ahead and tried it out. They describe the soup as: "We slowly simmer the eggplant with two types of curry, a blend of Middle Eastern spices and a touch of orange before we add tender Spanish lentils and sweet potatoes giving this soup a lush richness that belies its dairy free nature."


The soup is interesting. There was a mild spiciness to it and also not a huge curry hit. M said she got a lot of spice and curry from hers so I wonder if it was just a problem with my face/tastebuds being completely frozen, but who knows. The soup itself was velvety and warming. It was filled with eggplant, lentils, carrot, celery, onion, scallion, and sweet potato. The addition of orange gave it a bright citrus note as well as some sweetness and tartness.

While I didn't get as much flavor as M seems to remember, I liked the subtlety of the flavors that I got, and it was incredibly warming for such a cold day.

No comments:

Post a Comment